I am a retired, sixty-something married woman.
I’ve never been this age before – So, I am learning as I go along.
Each year, I learn something different about myself.
From collecting my social security, to gall bladder surgery!
What more can I say? It’s a trip!
Years ago, I used to attend Al-Anon. Loved it. loved the 12 steps. I still look to them, in many ways. So I thought, about this Aging thing, many of us, are doing. (Like we have a choice?) and thought, it would be fun, to make up some, for seniors as we grow older. Just for fun...or who knows? A new trend in aging?
The 12 steps of growing older
1. We admitted we were powerless over the effects of aging - that our lives had become exhausting trying to keep up with youth.
2. We believe that a power greater than ourselves could help us to embrace aging, start acting our age, and to stop complaining.
3. Made a decision to turn our gray hair, wrinkles, saggy skin, aches and pains and our lonely lives over to the care of God as we age.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves as well as mapping our moles, keeping track of doctors appointments and refilling our pill containers.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another old person the exact nature of our crankiness.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character before we die so we will be remembered sweetly.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our cranky ways.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all, before we die.
9. Made direct amends to such people if they are still alive, so we can clear our guilty conscience. If not, we're screwed.
10. Continued to take personal inventory before we forget and when we were wrong tried to remember it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, before we meet Him, praying our eventual death will be quick and painless.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message, as we remembered it, to other seniors and to practice these steps daily or die trying.